Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Singled out

Sitting on a stairway, looking into my itouch ( I splurged so that I could get on the Internet when outside) and reading a blog and listening to Rich Mullins, suddenly a flahlight is shining in my face, a white cop asks me
"you seem to hang out here quite a bit--is that true?" ( we are conversing near an expensive frozen yogurt shop)
"well not every day"
"do you live around here?"
"yes"
"where?"
(!!!!!!!who cares where I live--mind your own business!!!)
"down the street"--I point off in the direction of my chosen abode, my backpack sitting comfortably in front of me, betraying my rooflessness
"well, just remember not to sit in the chairs of the Pinkberry unless you've bought something."

(context--I hang out near the pinkberry because I get free wireless access from a stray signal--I've sat in the chairs twice without buying something--and I doubt the cop would have said anything to me if I didnt have a bag in front of me with clothes air- drying on it that almost shouts--"look at me--I sleep under the stars")
I share this story because I'm reminded once again how little it takes to get the attention of the authorities if you are homeless, no matter how innocent you are, or how harmless you look (I got a compliment the other day from an elderly man on the streets that I "clean up well"

No comments: