Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sauce, my friend

Today I was walking back to my campsite, and I saw my friend Sauce panhandling outside a late night restaurant. I was so glad to see her--it had been about a week or more since I last saw her. She said that she had been staying at Venice beach--a nicer crowd over there. She doesn't feel as scared that she will be raped. But even here, she discovered that if she quickly hid inside a cardboard box so that no one saw it was a woman who got inside she would be safe from attack. She also mentioned that if she kept panhandling outside of the restaurant there was a good chance the cops would come to arrest her (she had just seen the owner of the restaurant come out and she said he had called the cops on her before. She told me more of her life--how when she was young her mother had hid her from the authorities because the Cambodian government was at war and was eliminating any one who could not be helpful to the war effort including handicapped people like her (she has withered hands). She eventually fled to Thailand via Vietnam, and married an American GI, who later in life became crazy and began to hit her, which is why she fled to the street. Yet she is one of the most gracious people I have met--she could have deep bitterness against all those who have ill-treated her, but her response to her pain in life is more like a deep sadness. Yet she does know God, and I had a blessed time praying with her.

2 comments:

kunzmann said...

Hey Flick, just wanted you to know I'm really enjoying your more frequent updates lately. May the Lord bless you richly in the work He has given you :)

Hanna K. said...

wow, this is so powerful. nathan, i would love to walk alongside you and your friends and interview them so that their stories can be read by others.