Friday, July 11, 2008

Circles or Squares?

Yesterday I was helping a member of Central City Church (AJ) to help set up chairs in the main hall for church on Sunday after working with the kids earlier. Another guy was there who was setting up chairs for a Bible study he was having that night. He had one chair set up facing two other chairs, and when I brought out another chair to put next to the solo one, he told me to put it next to the other two. I then realized that he didn't want a perfect circle, but to have one chair (his) facing the others in a semicircle. I remember thinking "why not put them in a full circle--why do you have to be facing the rest just because you are the 'leader?'" Then I was reading a book called "Simplicity" by Richard Rohr, who always blows me away, and he was sharing how the 12 step groups always sit in a circle--not like a square or rectangle that most churches have, which focus in on one person or a group of people up front performing, rather than having everyone face eachother's brokenness as equals. "When people get together in solidarity and unity, not out of power but out of powerlessness, then Christ is in their midst."

No comments: