Monday, July 14, 2008

Self Deceit and Money

Last Friday, I went to a wonderfully delightful reunion of LAUP, (Los Angeles Urban Project) and it was great to see old friends. I was challenged once again by Kevin Blue's sermon from Luke 16 about the rich man and Lazarus. The context of the passage being that Jesus was addressing a group of Pharisees--the religious leaders of the day--those who were comfortable in their own salvation. In the section just before, he was addressing the subject of money, and they ridiculed him, because they were "lovers of money." And he responds to their hearts by saying "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God." Kevin pointed out something that still haunts me about this passage--that it is possible to be self-deceived. Indeed, "the heart is deceitful above all things." Which means that even those who outwardly appear to be faithful to God may be further from Him than most. It also means that I, who have recieved so much--so much good teaching, so many good examples of the walk of Jesus--I need to be examining my heart, and letting God continually change me. Even despite my current position of sleeping on the street--I am still tempted to overindulge myself on things I don't need, like expensive food, etc. Another point that Kevin made was that we should not compare ourselves with those above us economically to judge our discipleship in regard to money, but to those who are below us. In fact, all of us who are college educated in the states are rich (as rich as the rich man compared to Lazarus perhaps?) compared to many who live in slums and who are homeless.

No comments: