Friday, October 14, 2005

Riding with Chesterton

U2 is not the only audible sound that can propel my legs forward in physical exertion. Today, I listened to the inspiring and down-to-earth words of G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy while riding a bike around my south LA neighborhood. The oddness of it reminded me of last night, when I found myself picking up my roommate in a crowded McDonalds near Compton that was blaring classical music. Odd, but beautiful. Anyhew, back to Chesterton. I've heard alot about him, but havn't read (or listened) to his stuff too much before. In his second chapter he argues that modernism and materialism is really a form of insanity. Just like a crazy person's world is perfectly logical, though very limited; the modernist cannot explain why a moonlit night is beautiful, or how a first kiss feels, or why we all would wish that miracles were true if we were honest with ourselves. We need the mystics of the world to remind us of the undeniable truth of these things. Indeed, the mystics are the ones who are the most sane and normal people in the world. "The whole secret of mysticism is this: that man can understand everything by the help of what he does not understand."
P.S. Chesterton uses the term "mystic" to refer to someone who believes in the supernatural, especially Christians.

1 comment:

Masaki said...

chesterton rocks