Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Pride

Today, our pilate light for our house heating was not lit. Apparently the gas guy can't do it if its under the house. Shucks.
Previously, in anticipation of our house being heated up again, I had a little discussion about our need for heat with my roommate. I went on a little soapbox about how we didn't really need our house to be heated up in the winter and how we could just put more clothes on and save on energy. I also mentioned that my preference would be to have no heat at all. A little while later, he asked me what I thought of Christians who didn't live simple lives, and I said, well, I get annoyed with them, and sad, even though I know I'm not living as simple of a life as I would like to live. This led into a discussion about the house heating, and I realized as my roommate and I chatted that I am a very prideful man. I tend to explain my personal preferences in such a way that others think that I think that somehow they're less "spiritual" if they don't do things the same way. It's something in the way I say it, and its something in my heart that is really messed up.
Hidden pride is a wretched thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a soapbox? seems rather extravagant to me...

Thanks for sharing your conviction Nathan.

Masaki said...

Something about the way that you spelled "pilate light" feels poetic. I should use that.