Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Come On Inn

I went to it today. The Come On Inn. Took two metro buses up to downtown. Walked into the Midnight Mission. Asked at the desk for Kevin Martin, my boss with Hope for the Homeless. Listened to the soundtrack to Wicked (Kevin apparently loves musicals) while driving. Walked out of the car and came Inn.

Kevin led me up to a room on the second floor of this low-income hotel and he handed half of the folders in his hand to me and explained to me how do handle the clients that he had just assigned to me. The 6 people I met there at the Inn had recieved vouchers that allowed them to stay at the hotel for a period of 6 months so that they could have some breathing room in order to find a job and a more permanent residence. Most of them were formerly homeless. I liked talking with Tracy, although Kevin said that his room was terribly messy when he saw it. He's looking for another place, because he's gonna have to leave the hotel this Sunday. After all of our casework was done, we were treated to lunch at a nice Chinese restaurant by the hotel manager. I'm looking forward to future Tuesdays with Kevin and my friends at the Come On Inn.

Later, I helped tutor some awesome kids in reading at Adventures Ahead.
Man, if you don't like kids, Get over it.

No comments: