Monday, November 27, 2006

Glorious

As I was returning to the library today from purchasing (one of a very few purchases I have made in the last three weeks!) a road map for our upcoming quest, I noticed it started to rain. Gradually, the little drops on my head turned colder and harder and eventually instead of splashing they bounced! My heart was practically bouncing within me--out of joy and delight in the experience. I've always loved the parts of nature that seem harsh to many--the rain, the snow, the sleet and hail--something about God's power and his love seem intertwined in their beauty. As I was walking around, basking in the hail, I noticed most people rushing about trying to get under shelter--a natural response, but nevertheless, I was gripped by a sort of spiritual sadness (or yearning)--a desire for everyone else to experience the same joy I was experiencing.
As I was walking, I passed by a middle aged lady from a distance, and as I was smiling, she smiled back. A few yards later I opened up my mouth to taste the tiny beads of ice, and heard her chuckling. I gave her one more smile, happy to find at least one soul who could appreciate the joy of living in that moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have your eyes (and a blogging body attached to them), because you see things some of us don't take time to see.

"basking in the hail" Fun.

The Flick said...

Thanks Betsy :)

I appreciate that