Monday, November 20, 2006

Amazing Grace

Last Saturday night we went to the Bible study at Sarah's house--wonderful time of fellowship with a mixed group of people--homeless youth, college students, church people--quite a mix. It felt like what church is supposed to be like. I overheard this guy named Louis sharing about how he had just had a profound experience of giving up his life to Jesus--and giving up his drugs and alcohol. I had a wonderful time hearing his testimony and sharing scriptures with him--it was a very mutually encouraging time. He is the kind of guy who attracts others around him because of his deep humility and brokenness.

Last night, I saw him again at Road Warriors and was going to sit next to him, but someone else was already sitting there. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, and as he was on his way out, I noticed he didn't seem to be in the same frame of mind that I first met him in. So I followed him out, and he told me that he had relapsed. We had a long discussion, in which I heard much of his life story, and I invited him to stay with Gus and I that night in order to help him stay away from going back into drugs that night. We stayed up until 3 pm last night talking and praying with him--really felt God's presence with us.

At one point, this other guy walked up to us and gave each of us a cookie, telling us that God loved us, and that He wanted us to get off the streets, even asking me how old I was. Then he gave each of us a dollar, and reminded us again of God's love. Although I was blessed by the cookie and the dollar, and by his concern, I was disappointed that he made certain assumptions about us--that we liked to party, etc.

Anyway, later on, as we are still talking, another, different guy comes up to us, and asks us if we were praying! We answer in the affirmative and I offered him a cookie. He refused kindly, and then our friend we were praying with offers him his dollar! So we all give him our dollars and he tells us that he is a fellow believer and shares what he has learned about God with us. Eventually, I ask him to pray for us--especially for God's power to empower us for holy living, and he prays for us then and there, sitting in a circle, holding hands, knowing God's presence on a cold and windy street corner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Nathan, that's amazing! Praise God for his presence on cold and windy street corners and for the many miracles in all of your lives that brought you together in that place that night. He is so good in his faithfulness to us, and I praise God for you guys' faithfulness shown in that encounter as well.

Anonymous said...

I just noticed that the quote on your blog today says, "Blessed is the person who has a praying friend." I feel very blessed to have you in my life. God bless!

VJ Rubenstein said...

Amazing... how flippantly I spend $2 on a cup of coffee.