Thursday, November 09, 2006

Bagpipes

As Gus and I were walking through the city, me trying to keep up with his brisk walking pace, we passed by two bagpipers playing away--I love the sound of the bagpipe. They were playing Christmas songs, and as I heard them start to play, I asked Gus if we could just soak it in a while--enjoying the sights and sounds of the beautiful city of Portland on a winter night. As one of them started playing "Little Drummer Boy" (which happens to be one of my favorite Christmas carols) I was thinking a little about the people we've met here--how many little drummer people there are among the homeless. So many who feel that they have nothing much of anything to give to Jesus--yet He welcomes their gifts with loving, open arms. So many don't even realize they are giving gifts to Jesus, every day--a smile, and encouraging word, a spare cigarette--yes, even that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you succeeded quite well at philosophizing on this topic! Little drummer people... yay for the gifts we give. Even cigarettes... or hugs... or whatever else :).

Davidthird said...

I love Portland! Praise the Lord for how he is meeting you guys. If you need any advice about stuff in the vicinity, let me know, and I'll do my best to answer.

Great blog!

aCubed said...

In kindness, the lines do get blurry, don't they? Or perhaps, startling clear.

Light one up for the Lord... tee hee... er i mean, share one. Er... uh, nevermind.