Monday, August 18, 2008

Walking away without a name

As I was walking back from the library to Little Tokyo, I noticed a lady walking out of the library who was leaning over to one side as she walked, burdened by the four bags she was carrying. Although my sense of smell is quite weak, I could smell her as she walked by, and wondered when the last time she had a shower was. I took out my earphones, wanting to help her out somehow, but not knowing how to do so. I paused, looking at her as she shuffled off, wondering how someone as young as she ended up on the streets (she looked to be about 35 or younger). Remembering I had three dollars of Mcdonalds coupons with me, I caught up to her and asked her if she wanted them, and she thanked me and took them, speaking with an accent that sounded European. I wanted the conversation to continue, but I had nothing else to say, and she shuffled off, and I rolled my bag past her. I continued walking slowly a couple more blocks, thinking and praying about her. I let her catch up, and foolishly said, "That looks heavy" because I could think of nothing else to say. She walked on without saying a word, and I wondered what I could have said to her to assure her that I meant no harm and that I simply wanted to help, perhaps with a meal, or something else. I have realized that it is much harder for me to have a good conversation with someone out on the streets if I approach them, than if they approach me.

No comments: