Tuesday, August 19, 2008

David

The other day I was walking to the library, and I was hailed by a skinny man with a cardboard sign which had "Looking for a miracle" on it. He asked me for a miracle, followed by, "even a small one." I told him I didn't have any cash on me, and then whether or not he wanted something to eat, mentioning that I could buy him something from the Carl's Junior down the street. He was excited about that, and I came back with a Big hamburger, a banana milkshake, and a spicy chicken sandwhich (which I got for myself). As we ate, he told me a little more--he didn't have any family in the area because he was an orphan from Cuba, and he had been on the streets for ten years, but avoided skid row area because of the danger. He told me there were warehouse jobs that were hiring, and he was hoping to get one. I gave him my number, and he told me that he would give me a call later.

1 comment:

The Flick said...

I met David again recently--he was smiling and happy and we talked for ten minutes or so--he admitted to using some of his money he got by panhandling to buy dope--I appreciated his honesty, and hope to see him again.