Sunday, July 08, 2007

Wealth and Riches

Today's sermon at Church of the Redeemer--by Kevin Blue, and the Holy Spirit speaking through him--really challenged me again about how I spend money. I've been eating out alot--it's almost become a habit for me to eat out almost every day!!!!!! Which is ridiculous for me, and humbling for me to say it out loud. Although sometimes that just amounts to a dollar sandwhich at Mcdonalds, I still am ashamed at how much I've been spending on food. I'm so easily swayed by others around me--most of my coworkers buy lunch out when we have lunch together before going out and canvassing (raising money for homeless kids door to door). Because I've been in a sort of transitional period (moving from south LA to Westwood) I've justified the spending of my money on fast food because of that. It just proves to me how easily the words "Hypocrite!" (even if left unspoken) rebound back to me. It is very easy for me to judge the people I talk to every day at my job who respond to my plea for funds with a "not interested" or "I already give" or "maybe later" or "I give to my church" or "Get the F@$% away!" But here I am, using the precious little God has entrusted to me on expensive food that could have been used to feed others who are hungrier.
Thankfully I had time yesterday to go grocery shopping, but the lack of a microwave in my new apartment makes things a little tricky. Cereal is good though :)



“Wealth and riches, that is, an estate above what sufficeth our real occasions and necessities, is in no other sense a 'blessing' than as it is an opportunity put into our hands, by the providence of God, of doing more good.”
—John Tillotson

No comments: